Virginia happens to be a university English trainer for over two decades. She focuses primarily on assisting individuals compose essays quicker and easier.
Want An Improved Grade?
A lot of things have changed into the 23 years i have taught university English, but a very important factor hasn’t. Students nevertheless result in the same typical mistakes on their documents. We guarantee that in the event that you follow my guidelines to eradicate these mistakes in your paper, you’re going to get a significantly better grade. perhaps perhaps Not time that is much? My recommendations are bought most abundant in important people first.
Spelling and Grammar
The issue: pupils rush to complete their papers and do not just take the right time and energy to find and fix mistakes which they could easily correct.
The Clear Answer:
- Spell-check your essay making use of your word program that is processing.
- Utilize Grammarly to simply help search for mistakes (Bing “Grammarly’ to download the free variation). After making use of this myself for per year, I finally need my students put it to use too since it does get many typical word choice mistakes and comma errors.
- Re-read your essay gradually (out loud is most beneficial) from beginning to end. That will help you will find a complete lot of errors and typos that would be missed by the spellchecker.
- Ask another person to read through your essay to find mistakes. Often buddy can easily see something you cannot.
Why Fix? Misspelled words and typos tell your instructor that you do not care. More to the point, these types of mistakes at work inform your employer that you’re a sloppy worker, and therefore will make you get passed away over for the advertising (but no body will let you know it is because you do not spell check!). Therefore learn how to be considered a careful proofreader.
Always Check Word Useage
The difficulty: Students compose the method they talk, making their writing too casual.
The clear answer: Check your essay to note that you aren’t making use of these words that are common expressions which are either:
- wrong sentence structure
- confused terms
- bad word choices
- perhaps not suitable for a educational piece
To fix this Forever: Keep a listing of the expressed word errors which you find in your documents, or that your particular trainer has marked on graded essays. Make an effort to learn the guidelines. Make sure those words if you use them if not whenever you proofread.
Why Fix? The rules of all of the terms are taught in primary school. Possibly you missed those classes, did not realize, or have a couple of of these you do not keep in mind. Because these are classes taught to small children, it must be a piece of cake to help you discover them now. Do your self a benefit and find out your standard mistakes to ensure it is possible to somewhat enhance your writing for future years.
Common Word Errors
Whenever You Fix Grammar Errors..
Revise Boring, Short and sentences that are repetitive
Problem: Sentences are wordy, boring, and seem the exact same.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is in western Africa. The Ebola virus is life-threatening. The Ebola virus is frightening to many individuals. Individuals wonder when they can be the second victims for this lethal virus. Individuals do not trust government sources that guarantee us the Ebola virus is included.
- Circle every term that you apply to start out a phrase.
- Seek out sentences which have similar very very first terms, particularly if they are in identical paragraph and alter them in one single associated with the after methods:
include a change term or expression to begin the phrase (nonetheless, despite the fact that, furthermore, in addition, additionally, consequently). See my “change words” chart to get more examples.
Utilize various sentence kinds, like concerns, interjections and commands.
- That will be actually the many way that is important avoid Ebola?
- We have to work now!
- Remember that as the world shrinks, what are the results in Africa and somewhere else has importance that is great everybody.
Re-arrange the phrase having an Introductory Element. Basic elements are phrases which come before the main topic of the phrase. Usually you can easily make the finish of a phrase and go it towards the front side to help make a far more interesting phrase. Do not forget a comma following the Introductory Element.
Western Africa could be the spot in which the Ebola that is deadly virus hit. Wondering in the event that lethal virus will distribute, lots of people are frightened by Ebola. Perhaps maybe Not trusting federal government sources, citizens in hard-hit nations are wondering when they or some body they love would be the next victim.
- Combine short sentences and eradicate words that are repetitive.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is with in western Africa. The Ebola virus is life-threatening. The Ebola virus is frightening to people that are many.
Re-write: The lethal Ebola virus outbreak in western Africa is frightening to numerous individuals.
- Make use of semicolon to mix sentences.
The terrifying and deadly Ebola outbreak in western Africa causes individuals to wonder who’ll function as the next target; furthermore, lots of people never trust the federal government sources that state the herpes virus is included.
Why sentence that is changing works: when you yourself have sentences beginning with the exact same term, maybe you are with the “subject-verb-object” types of phrase that English speakers utilize once we talk. Whenever you compose, it’s not necessary to continue to keep the niche since the very first term when you look at the phrase. Then when you revise the very first term, your writing immediately appears more expert and smart.
Test Revisions: despite the fact that federal federal government sources guarantee us the Ebola outbreak in western Africa will likely be included, people are frightened which they can become the next victims of the lethal virus.
Maybe perhaps Not government that is trusting which guarantee us that the Ebola virus is contained, lots of people are frightened and wonder if they are going to get to be the next victims of the life-threatening virus which originates from western Africa.
Always check Commas, Semicolons and Colons
The issue: Commas look if they aren’t needed or are missing if they are needed. Your teacher may compose “comma splice,” “run-on phrase” or “no comma required.”
The perfect solution is: Proofread your paper while taking a look at the Rules for making use of Commas, and Easy Rules for Semicolon and Colon.
Here you will find the Fundamental Comma Rules:
- Make use of a comma in a list.Example: James really loves bananas, oranges, peaches, and strawberries.
- Work with a comma before a combination (and, but, or, therefore, for, yet, nor) when there is a complete phrase (topic and verb) pre and post the combination. Example: James really loves bananas which can be ripe, buthe doesn’t consume any good fresh fruit that includes brown spots.
- Work with a comma after an Introductory Element (word or expression) which comes ahead of the topic in a phrase. Instance: In spite of eating a complete bowl packed with good fresh fruit at meal, James had been still hungry.
- Use commas to mark down information that is unimportant. Then try saying the sentence without that phrase if you aren’t sure if it needs a comma. Then you should probably use commas if the sentence still makes sense. Example: James, whom really loves all types of good fresh fruit, constantly attempts to come beside me whenever I’m shopping at the Farmer’s Market, which is just available on Saturday mornings.
2 approaches to make use of Semicolon
- Work with a Semicolon in place of a period of time two sentences together.Example:James always goes we always argue over whether to get green, red, or black seedless grapes with me to the grocery store.
- Make use of Semicolon having a transition term + comma. Example:James constantly goes we usually spend most of our time arguing over which sort of grapes to buy with me to the grocery store; however.
How exactly to Make Use Of Colon
A colon is employed before an inventory, an example or explanation. Example: James and I also constantly argue about which grapes will be the most readily useful: red, green or .
Check always Your Quotes and Sources
The difficulty: pupils do not always utilize quote markings properly or inform where they got information.
The answer: search for where you require sources. while you read your paper over, mark the right components that have been a few ideas that originated in help write an essay some body else. Have actually the reader was told by you where you got that information? You particularly have to cite your supply for facts, data, quotations or other information that’s not basic knowledge.
place your sources in your paper. The easiest method aren’t for maybe not together with your sources would be to point out in which you have in your writing. Check out test platforms:
- In Damian Reed’s article, “Where Birds Fly South,” he states that.
- based on Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South,” the hummingbird does not migrate.
- Hummingbirds do not migrate the moment expected, notes Damian Reed in “Where Birds Fly South” (Reed 24).